On September 2, 2003, the Seward Memorial Library opened its doors for the first time. We now look forward to celebrating our 20th anniversary! Over the years, the library has grown and seen many changes. Our book collection continues to feature a wide variety of topics in both fiction and non-fiction for patrons of all ages. Now our collection has expanded beyond printed materials; we offer cake pans, games, puzzles, equipment and a Fit4Seward collection.
While the library has served our community well over the years, it is time to look forward so that we may meet the needs of the future. The Seward Library Foundation has recently approved a remodeling plan to do just that. They are raising $100,000 for a remodel that will allow the library to adapt to the changing needs of Seward. The remodel will include:
- Repurposing the existing computer lab. When built, this room had a waiting list to use the computers. However, with advancements in technology, most patrons now use their own devices. The library will add laptops to use throughout the library in place of the lab, for those who need access to devices.
- Re-combining the Genealogy Room and the Heritage Room to provide one location for all historical documents. Since the Seward Library Foundation digitized county newspapers for ease of online access, the Genealogy Room use has dropped enough to allow resources to be together again.
- Expanding the Friends of Seward Library Book Nook in a new location near the lower-level circulation desk.
- Adding two additional study rooms and one meeting room in the lower level to better meet current and future needs.
- Relocating the Library of Things upstairs for greater ease of access for our patrons.
Each of these items will greatly improve our patron service and help us get ready for the next 20 years! The Seward Library Foundation developed a fundraising program which includes naming opportunities. Ask staff for details and help be a part of our continuing story; donate to the:
Seward Library Foundation
P.O. Box 42
Seward, NE 68434